Monday, April 4, 2011

The other day I went to a store and bought things.

The other day being yesterday.

Anyway, some friends and I decided to break out Rock Band again. So we did.

And that’s all for this week, folks. Come back on Friday!

Right.

Anyway, we were playing Rock Band for quite a long while, until we were all mostly hoarse and tired from singing and playing drums. This is when we decided to go buy Rock Band 3 and a new keyboard!

So we drove to the nearest Wal-Mart, which is at least half an hour away, just to discover that they didn’t have any Rock Band keyboards or the new guitars.

So instead, I decided I’d buy a shiny new 3DS.

images

But more on that later.

I still had my friends with me, so instead of breaking out my new toy and completely ignoring them, we started playing the new Kinect game I grabbed instead. Yoostar 2.

The name absolutely killed me. Being a writer, that disgusting yoo felt like a knife to the gut. The only reason I bought it was because it sounded interesting- it gives you a script, and Kinect films you as you act it out, then it puts you in the movie. What got me was the movie list. 300, The terminator, the hangover, Zoolander, and the matrix. THE MATRIX.

Anyway, shenanigans ensued.

We did Norbit and 300.

And good times were had by all.

And then I got to break out my new DS!

Wow. Just wow. The hardware and built in software was absolutely fantastic. I’d get some pictures in here, but you really just can’t even understand it until you’ve got it in your hands.

 

The AR games, coupled with the 3D is just freaking astounding.

And then the new StreetPass features seem like they’ll be pretty sweet. When the 3DS is in standby, it acts as a pedometer, and you get coins depending on how many steps you take. So you’re encouraged to get your DS outside and start walking around with it. Then also while it’s in standby, it’s an improved version of Tag Mode from the regular DS. It’s constantly looking for other DS’s to trade information with, and different games can use that in different ways.

I don’t live in a very populated area, but I could see it being amazing if you lived in a city. Bodacious, even.

Aside from that, there isn’t a very wide selection of games available out now. Pilotwings and Street Fighter were sold out, so I got stuck with Monkey Ball as a starter. It’s alright, but I definitely can’t wait for the Ocarina remake, or for whatever Mario game they come up with for it.

 

If you couldn’t tell before now, I’m kind of a gamer.

4 comments:

  1. The augmented reality makes me want one. The poor battery life makes me want to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly, it's not as bad as reviewers make it sound. I've had it in standby all day, using Spotpass and the pedometer, and I played it for a straight hour, still at 80-90%.
    The 3D hasn't really bothered me much either, but they did get a little sore after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just makes me want a new 3DS. Everybody says it's great, and I'd buy it just for the bigger screens. :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also coming from the old DS phat, the brightness is just awesome.
    It might not seem quite as awesome if you're coming from the DSi, but when you jump from just being able to play games, to being able to play games in 3D, take pictures in 3D, have games that utilize the cameras, and all the motion controls...
    It was a pretty awesome jump.
    It's been a week and I still absolutely love it, so that's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete